Search This Blog

Monday 11 January 2016

Review: The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

8685612

Book: The Iron Queen, Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey #3
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: January 25th, 2011

My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.


The Iron Queen is definitely my favourite of the Iron Fey series.  This book kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire book. We’d left The Iron Daughter with Ash and Meghan exiled from the Faery world, assuming they would have an ordinarily human life in the real world. But of course, these two couldn’t stay out of the NeverNever for long and they’re soon sent right back into the middle of the war between the Summer and Winter Courts and the Iron Fey. Due to Meghan’s half-human heritage, she’s the only one who can enter the Iron Realm without getting hurt and so is sent by King Oberon and Queen Mab to kill the false Iron King once and for all, with her two loyal bodyguards’ right by her side. And there was so much action and character development and great moments throughout the book, I truly enjoyed myself.

Meghan has completely transformed herself into a strong and brave Leader whom others will very happily and loyally follow. While I disliked her in the previous two books, I just had to cheer her on in this book, she was so awesome! She had so many doubts about herself and her abilities; about who she was meant to be. Was she a human living in the fey world? Or was she where she truly belonged? Well, these all disappear in this book, and she truly comes into her own here.

Now that Ash and Meghan became an official couple, the romance was simply… well, gushy. The loyalty between those two is something to be admired, and Kagawa wrote it beautifully. I honestly can’t decide if I’m a Puck or Ash girl as both boys love Meghan differently but just as fiercely, but I still can’t deny that Meghan and Ash were on fire. Puck will always be in love with Meghan and stick tight to his princess for as long as he can, but Ash and Meghan’s chemistry made me fan myself in some places. I can’t help but love Puck’s loyalty, though.

The title of the book makes it a little obvious as to what Meghan’s true role is in the Faerie world. She’s not just Oberon’s daughter and a Summer Princess; she’s an Iron Queen too.

She has to prove herself and her powers on more than one occasion in this book but comes out on top every time. Kagawa has once again inspired a wonderful and creative world, mixing faery tales with fantasy, action and love. Her writing style is wonderful and I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who loves those elements in books.

11 comments:

  1. YES!!! This book is my favourite book of all times. The action and character development offset each other perfectly! I'm like you, I can't fully decide whether I'm Team Ash or Team Puck, since I love them both. Sigh, those two <3
    Funnily enough, I actually read this book first, and then worked my way backwards to the 1st and 2nd books, haha.
    Absolutely amazing review, Sinead! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG there must've been a lot of spoilers when you read the first two books so! :O I did that with the Vampire Academy too, actually, lol :P Thanks so much! Hoping the Iron Knight will be just as amazing!

      Delete
  2. This series looks so freaking good!!!! I will eventually make my way to reading it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait till you start it I hope you love it!

      Delete
  3. I really need to catch up with this series! *-*

    Also, I was bored so spontaneously created a tag! I tagged you in it! :) Enjoy!

    http://justanotherbookishblog.blogspot.nl/2016/01/new-tag-book-siblings-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Caroline, can't wait to do it!

      Delete
  4. This series is on my ebook shelf. I really should get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. And my never-shrinking TBR grows.

    The Iron Fey series looks gorgeous. It sounds fantastic. I will definitely have to look more into it.

    Have you ever read the Nightfall Chronicles by Karpov Kinrade? I came across those on another book reviewer's blog and they look interesting.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier, Sinead! (Amazing name, by the way. Love it.) Appreciate the Bloglovin' follow and I've returned the favor via Google+ and GFC. :)

    Eve
    Edge of Night

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the TBR shelf is meant to be never-ending, otherwise we'd have nothing to read! But I know what you mean :P

    I haven't read that series but I'm definitely going to check it out! I'm glad you like my name, it's very Irish, lol :P Means Jennifer, if you're interested :P Thanks so much for the follow, means a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've still yet to read this one... I have it sitting on my shelf and your review makes me want to just dive into it finally. Great job!

    I also tagged you in the bookish sibling tag

    http://sweetcherry69.blogspot.com/2016/01/bookish-siblings-tag.html?m=1

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x