Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 September 2016

Has Reading Become A Chore?

Do you ever feel that reading has become more of a chore recently?

http://rs1201.pbsrc.com/albums/bb343/rileysheaseoul/Supernatural%20GIF/tumblr_lji644gLHe1qegw8l.gif~c200https://media.giphy.com/media/j0IX3YsudKDIs/giphy.gif

 Not in a bad way! Don't get me wrong; I still love reading. But I set myself a 100 book reading challenge on Goodreads this year, and I've found that I'm either on track or one book behind (right now I'm TWO books behind schedule). And suddenly, whenever I read I find myself thinking "I have to have this read in the next three days or I'll be behind schedule." And I'm realising that that's kind of taking the fun out of reading. I can't re-read books anymore as they aren't counted in the Goodreads Challenge and with college starting up again, I'm going to have even less time that usual to read. (Even though I still keep re-reading books because they're too good NOT to read, haha.)

And other times, I'll be reading, but I'll get this inexplicable urge to look up random videos on YouTube, or check my FB or Instagram, or go get food. It's like I can't concentrate. I guess this could also be called a reading slump, lol. Still, it's really depressing sometimes, especially when there's so many books I have waiting for me to read or when I get emails from authors requesting a review in exchange for a book and I don't feel that urge to sit down and read.

https://admin.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Supernatural-Dean.gif 
http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwoon2WTZh1qlmoi9o1_500.gif

Does anybody else feel this way, or is it just me?

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! I feel like I can't reread books because it doesn't count on Goodreads, and that alone makes me feel less happy about reading. I've fallen behind on my Goodreads challenge just because I've been rereading books, and then I feel guilty...It can really feel demoralizing at times :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's exactly it! I'm glad I'm not the only one. It does feel really depressing sometimes :(

      Delete
  2. I get that, truly I do. I try to read one indie a month and when I get to that indie, that's when it feels like a chore for me.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hate that! And I especially hate leaving books unfinished, I need to have some sort of closure for them :(

      Delete

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x