Search This Blog

Friday 2 September 2016

Review: Harry Potter & The Cursed Child by J.K Rowling

29056083

Book: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, J.K Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne
Series: Harry Potter #8
Publisher: Little, Brown UK
Release Date: July 31st, 2016

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.
 


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjpTnw-6P-5qoR7ZIGelprHv0LR5iNXRXnI20VdJqFi4VFY4hi1xR4hsMmnXN8-eAq0SN7amtZXMCtEQVFLFezC03cWNm-d_I7PxlFySiNZV-l3zCGTAqjdnvbB9G03mFIF19iz64Cgt-c/s1600/4-star-rating.png

“To suffer is as human as to breathe.”

There are a lot of mixed reviews of this book. Some love it and think it’s a great addition to Harry’s world; others refuse to accept it as canon. I was never the huge Potterhead many booknerds are today. I’m a huge fan of the movies, but I only read the books for the first time last year. (But it certainly won’t be my last!) So, while I was excited for this book to be released, I didn’t have huge expectations for it. Especially as J.K Rowling wasn’t the only one writing it.

However, I really did enjoy what I read. It’s set straight after the epilogue of Deathly Hollows, where Harry and Ginny are sending their middle son, Albus, off to his first year at Hogwarts. From there, we skip through the years, alternating between his storyline and Harry’s.

We get a sense straight away that Harry and Albus’ relationship is a strained one. Albus is baring the weight of having a family name, being the son of Harry Potter, as well as having the proud name of two past headmasters. It’s a lot to carry, and Albus doesn’t carry it well. He needs help, but Harry doesn’t know how to reach out to help him.

It’s really sad, actually, as you can tell Harry really wants to gain a good relationship with his son, but he doesn’t know how to do it. It doesn’t show whether he has a good relationship with his other children, James and Lily, as neither are given enough screen time, which is a shame.

We learn straight on that Albus is sorted into Slytherin House, the only one in his family to do so, and this makes him stand out even more as the outcast. However, this allows him to become friends with Scorpius Malfoy, Draco’s son and quite possibly the best character in this book. He’s geeky, awkward, funny, adorable, and impossible not to like. His surname and an ugly rumour stating that he’s actually the son of Voldemort make him an outcast from his classmates. So the two outcasts band together and create a unique beautiful friendship.

I didn’t really like Harry’s character in this, I'm afraid. I could tell he had the best intentions at heart and just wanted what was best for his son, but he went around it all wrong. He was rude, and harsh, and made some really questionable decisions. Hermione, as usual, was a total badass witch and made a great Minister for Magic, she completely controlled the room whenever she was on. Ron, while I love him, was basically the comic relief in this, as whenever he was on he was always joking. Still love him, but there was no depth to his character.

I won’t get too into the plot in this as it’s best to experience it blind and judge for yourself. Some people will love it, some won’t. It’s not as epic as the first seven books, but that’s okay. Harry’s main story is over. This is Albus’ tale, and he has to learn some lessons the hard way. It’s quite easy to forget that this is written in play format too, it reads really easily and I never felt that any part was missing or anything.

If you loved the Harry Potter world and don’t want it to end, then pick this up. While not the epic rollercoaster the first books were, it’s still a great addition to the Harry Potter series.

10 comments:

  1. I liked this one just not as much as I'd hoped. Great review!

    Carrie @The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the general consensus alright! Thanks a lot Carrie :) x

      Delete
  2. Ooh nice! I've been reading mixed reviews over this one. Pretty much like you said, people love it or they don't. I'm the one sitting on the fence on even reading it. It sounds interesting and I'd love more Harry Potter but since Rowling wasn't at the helm it totally has me hesitating. But it does sound rather interesting. It'll remain on my back burner for awhile I think, but I still wouldn't pass up an opportunity to read it should I ever find it at the library! Too busy with current palette to put myself on the wait list! LOL!

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not long, and the script format makes it pretty easy to read, but I totally understand why you're hesitating, especially if you're a huge fan of the books and want it to be epic.

      But if you do see it at the library, definitely pick it up, sit down and read, and you'll prob have it finished in a few hours!

      Delete
  3. Heyy! Someone who has just read the books for the first time this year too. High five haha! I share so many of your sentiments, especially with Ron losing depth in this story. I didn't like how he seems to have lost his importance in being part of the golden trio in this story.

    Great review!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. virtual high five! Glad I'm not the only one that only read it recently! I feel like this should be a full length book, not a script, so that they can devote more time for each character. I would've also loved to see Ron's son Hugo or Harry's other kids James and Lily make a bigger appearance in this too! Aw well.

      I still think seeing this in play format would be extremely epic :D

      Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  4. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I've seen so many negative reviews that I was beginning to worry I wouldn't find anyone who liked it.
    I agree with Harry not being as likeable in this one! I mean, I got where he was coming from, but some of his actions seemed a bit over the top.
    Scorpius is hands-down my newest favourite character. I loved him so, so much! It was brilliant how both Albus and Scorpius were trying to outlive the shadow of their family names, specifically their fathers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be prepared for loads and loads of fanfics regarding Scorpius and Albus now, haha! :D Yeah, I thought how they tried to outlive their fathers was excellent too, and their friendship/secret love for each other was too cute.

      I know what you mean too, most people seem incredibly disappointed with this one!

      Delete
  5. Yay! You got to it! :D
    I’m so sad it has so many negative reviews... It seems like people forget that this is an entire 19 years later.

    Scorpius is amazing! I really hope we’ll get more from him soon, he’s my new favorite for sure!

    Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, people are still trying to live in the past and forget that it's not Harry's story anymore.

      I don't think anyone will forget Scorpius, he seems to be everyone's favourite character!

      Thanks so much :)

      Delete

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x